bluebuddy – Kickstarter compleeted

The bluebuddy has finished its Kickstarter campaign with about 1.5 their target funding.

I ended up pledging for the techbuddy.  It was a little more but didn’t need to worry about exceeding it’s range ever.  I am a little disappointed with the extra features in their app.  Most iOS using divers have been using Diving Log 5 for some time and there is nothing convincing enough about this device to convince me to change over and having the extra app seems a bit odd.  That being said they do state that they use the BLE API for the data exchange.  This might be something to look into deciphering how they implemented the pairing and communication and see what other logging apps might support downloading from this device.

So close…

FedEx was just a little too slow.
So I won’t be able to test in the water for at least 2 weeks…

SCUBA Capsule finally shipped! This is great news. And its already at my local FedEx. But because it is in a container that isn’t being delivered until Monday there is no way to get it until then.

Not a huge deal if it were not for the fact that I have National Guard next weekend and no free time during the week. Time to try and find someplace to test the weekend of the 16th. Which isn’t easy this time of year in Michigan.

bluebuddy – Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 LE scuba diving logger

Just a quick note about a new SCUBA gadget I’ve backed on Kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1607113047/blue-buddy-wireless-bluetooth-40-le-scuba-diving-l

This little gadget is a non displaying dive profile recorder just to be used to quickly copy your profile to your iOS device where you can share it with your friends.

Update [January 23, 2013 at 12:26 am]: The bluebuddy has been funded.  Another thing to sit in my kickstarter menu and wait for the day I get to go hands on.

First 48 hours of testing SCUBA Capsule Software

I’ve been testing the software for the SCUBA Capsule for 2 days now.  This testing in JUST the application as the hardware is not yet shipping.

Here are the key points that I’ve noticed so far:

  • Only a few crash bugs, all it all reasonably stable. [Edit: most crash bugs already fixed]
  • Feel to the UI is consistent and fluid.
  • Several inputs are not labeled properly yet (polish) [Edit: All of these have been fixed]
  • Several of the inputs do not function as properly [Edit: All of these have been fixed]
  • Lacks proper support for nitrox or trimix having only selectable blends rather than the ability to input it.  This makes it [not ideal unusable] for anything but air as it stands.

If they get the inputs fixed, add proper blended gas support, and fix the few crash bugs this looks to be a very solid start.  Most of the issues seem to be minor UI related things and should be fairly easy to fix.

I can’t wait until I get my hands on the hardware.  I might try to find a computer to borrow that uses the same deco model for comparison.

Also have a concern that putting the iPhone in when warm and then doing a cold dive could cause condensation issues.

[Edit (2/3/13): Updated feedback on some of the bullet points]